6.09.2008

Kira-Kira

I finished Kira-Kira around 2PM today and I have to say that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. As I mentioned in a previous post, I don't normally read this much realistic fiction, but when I think back, I can't think of very many books I have read that I haven't enjoyed, regardless of genre. Anyway, Kira-Kira shares the story of a Japanese-American family living in the South during the late 1950s. Katie, the younger sister, narrates the family's struggles against racial prejudice, economic hardships, and the mysterious illness of Lynn, the beautiful, intelligent older sister. Both of the parents in this story work long hours at poultry plants in order to buy a house, which they believe will help Lynn get better. This seems to work for a while, but then Lynn takes a turn for the worse and mortgage payments combined with medical bills force the parents to work even more, leaving Katie caring for both her younger brother Sammy and her ailing older sister. The story was very sad, yet not depressing to me in that Katie comes to terms with her sister's death and decides to keep hold her sister's memory close to her heart while also allowing herself to hope for future happiness.
I am starting Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli now, all I can tell as of now is it seems to be about mermaids/sirens.

No comments: